After two years and four semifinals held in Barcelona, Bilbao and Seville, on April 19, at the Alimentaria 2018 fair in Barcelona, the grand finale of the 7th Cook of the Year Contest will take place.
The Cook of the Year Contest is a national gastronomic contest, with Martín Berasategui as President and Jordi Cruz as Vicepresident, who was the winner of the first edition in 2006.
32 chefs participated in the four great semifinals of this VII edition but only the two best chefs of each semifinal will be presented to the final in the Alimentaria 2018 fair.
Among the 8 best chefs of the Chef of the Year Contest we can find Chef Pedro Montolio together with David Bourg, from the Barcelona Princess Hotel who were first classified in the 1st Semifinal held last November 2016 in Barcelona.
The winning menu of Pedro and David during the semifinal was:
– Starter: White garlic with mackerel ceviche and acid apple salad, celery and grape
– Main dish: Scallop and jowl with peas, vegetables, mushrooms and air of mushrooms
– Tiramisu with liquid coffee inside, Amaretto and creamy chocolate with tonka bean.
The other 7 classified chefs that reached the final are Álvaro Salazar of Argos Restaurant (1 *) (Port de Pollença, Palma de Mallorca), Rubén Osorio Castañón, chef of Ergo restaurant in Miranda del Ebro, (Burgos), José David Fernández Portales, head chef of the Pabellón restaurant (Madrid), Asier Alcalde of the restaurant Laia in Hondarribia (Guipúzcoa), Daniel García of the Aboiz restaurant in Garai (Vizcaya), Francisco Javier Feixas, head chef of La Borraja restaurant in San Nicolás (Granada) and Antonio Rodríguez Bort, chef of the Ispal Restaurant (Sevilla), last cooks classified in the last semifinal of the Chef of the Year Contest in Seville.
An extraordinary jury will have the difficult task of choosing the winner of the VI Cook of the Year Contest.
– Martín Berasategui, President of the jury, Martín Berasategui restaurant (3*)
– Oriol Castro, Disfrutar restaurant (1*)
– Joaquín Baeza Rufete, Baeza Rufete restaurnat and winner of the V Cook of the Year Contest
– Xanty Elias, Acanthum restaurant (1*)
– Jordi Cruz, with 2* Michelin in the ABaC and 1* Michelin in the Angle, both in Barcelona y and winner of the first edition of the Cook of the Year contest.
– Álvaro Garrido, Mina de Bilbao restaurant.
– Carlos Capel
– Julia Pérez, gastronomic journalist
– Miguel Angel de la Cruz
– Raúl Resino, Raúl Resino restaurant (1 *) in Benicarló (Castellón) and winner of the last edition of the contest.
– Joaquín Baeza, Baeza & Rufete Restaurant, San Juan Beach (Alicante) and winner of the 2014 edition
“We want to have a good time and present a starter, main dish and dessert where the key is the flavor ” indicates Pedro.
David explains us that they will continue with the 360 Gastronomy of the Hotel Barcelona Princess with a Mediterranean cuisine with modern touches and products of sea and mountain.
Good luck to Pedro and David from Barcelona Princess who will be at the 2018 Chef of the Year grand final on April 19 at Alimentaria 2018 in Barcelona, within the activities of The Alimentaria Experience, an experiential, sensory and participative gastronomic space.
Cook of the Year Contest – #CCAFinal
Alimentaria 2018, Barcelona
Gran Via, Pavilion 6-7, The Alimentaria Experience – Showcookings 1,2,3,4
Thursday, April 19, 2018
10:45 – 18:00